How many teachers signed up to pack a weapon when they entered the profession? Turnover in education is already a huge problem. Packing a gun is what police and soldiers do. Shooting someone takes real and extensive training.
Arming teachers, the commonality of school lock downs and active shooter student training and placing the army or police force inside of our schools are extreme measures being taken that instill fear in students and make teaching more like combat than education. Wiki list of school shootings in America.
- Federal Funding, Zero Tolerance and Inadequate Alternatives mean that more states are policing schools with armed officers. Before the 1970’s police were almost absent from elementary and junior high schools.
- Today in American schools, 19,000 armed officers are dealing with an escalation of violence and criminal prosecutions for children as young as 5 years old. Prosecuting kids in place of using resources to help them adapt destroys the fabric of a child’s life and achieves the exact opposite of what children need and society expects from the school experience.
- This website tracks gun violence daily in the U.S. Every day 46 children are shot in murders, assaults, and suicides. In 2016 toddlers shot about one person a week(many of their victims were mothers and brothers)
- 8369 children were shot in 2015, 8867 in 2014 and in 2017 1532 children were shot in Chicago alone (according to the Chicago Tribune the number is probably higher) Guns are now the 3rd leading cause of child death in America.
- 265 moms dads, brothers, sisters and selves were shot by very young children this year and over 10,000 children killed or injured annually by gunfire in America. More Americans are killed by toddlers with guns than Terrorists and yes, we do sell guns for five year olds.
How the marketing arm of the NRA has come to own the issues of public health, public safety and education is hard to understand. No other industrialized nation has anywhere near the mass shootings, gun violence or child death by guns.
*Kids and Guns: Shootings Now Third Leading Cause of Death for U.S. … www.newsweek.com/guns-kids-third-leading-cause-death-627209 Jun 19, 2017 – Few stories are more heartbreaking than those involving children who are injured or killed by gunshots.
Guns kill nearly 1,300 US children each year – CNN.com www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/health/child-gun-violence-study/index.html Jun 19, 2017 – Guns kill nearly 1,300 US children each year, study says …. Boys accounted for 82% of allchild firearm deaths and about 84% of all nonfatal …
Key Gun Violence Statistics* | Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence www.bradycampaign.org › Gun Violence Every day, 7 children and teens die from gun violence:4 are murdered2 die from … years of complete data from death certificates (2011-2015) and estimates of …
Guns Are the Third Leading Cause of Child Death in America – Fortune Fortune.com/2017/06/20/cdc-suicide-teen-gun-deaths/ Jun 20, 2017 – A new CDC report finds nearly 1300 American children are killed by guns each year. But suicides and mental health are a big contributor.
Race is a huge factor in child gun deaths – VICE News https://news.vice.com/story/race-is-a-huge-factor-in-child-gun-deaths Jun 20, 2017 – Nearly 1300 children are killed by guns every year in the United States and another 5800 are wounded, making firearms the third-biggest killer …
Gun deaths: When kids find guns, should parents be blamed? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/24/justice…die…gun…/101568654/ May 24, 2017 – Children die from gun accidents in the U.S. about once a week. Almost every deathbegins with the same basic circumstances. And each ends …
Gun Violence: Facts and Statistics | Violence Prevention Initiative https://injury.research.chop.edu/violence-prevention…/gun…/gun-violence-facts-and American children face substantial risk of exposure to firearm injury and death according to scientific literature. Learn more about gun violence today.